Los Angeles, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: I was sentenced to 120 and 3 years joint suspenion well when i got out i went on the run so its been 5 years?

Its was in 2018 when i got out its been five years and i have had no run ins with the law so what do u think

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: obviously, you violated your sentence and a bench warrant for your arrest is no doubt out there.

don't just turn yourself into the court without a lawyer representing you and trying to work out the terms etc.

under no circumstances should you surrender yourself and try to explain ..........let your lawyer do it......you will just be admitting guilt if you talk.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you were sentenced to 120 days in jail and 3 years of probation and you went on the run after your release in 2018, but have not had any contact with law enforcement since then, it's possible that there may be a warrant out for your arrest. The fact that you have not been contacted by law enforcement does not necessarily mean that you are in the clear.

It's important to address this situation as soon as possible to avoid potential legal consequences in the future. You may want to consider contacting a criminal defense attorney who can help you understand your legal options and advise you on the best course of action.

If there is a warrant out for your arrest, an attorney may be able to help you negotiate a surrender and minimize the potential legal consequences. Alternatively, if the warrant has expired or if there is a legal basis for challenging it, an attorney can assist you in pursuing those options.

It's also important to note that avoiding a legal issue by going on the run is not a recommended course of action, as it can lead to additional legal problems and consequences. It's always best to address legal issues head-on and with the guidance of a qualified attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.