Havre de Grace, MD asked in Child Support and Military Law for Maryland

Q: My ex-wife has sent "Income Withholding for Support" papers to my current employer & Military pension... Why?

I'm current on my child support payments. My ex-wife has sent Income withholdings for support to my current employer and Military pension. Both forms are asking for the same support amount. Will I be double tapped on child support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: It's possible that your ex-wife has sent income withholding orders to both your current employer and your military pension to ensure that she receives the full amount of child support owed to her on a timely basis. This is a common practice to ensure that child support payments are made consistently and on time.

If you are current on your child support payments and have not missed any payments, then you should not be double-tapped on child support. However, if there is a mistake in the paperwork or if the forms were sent in error, it's important to address the situation quickly and ensure that your payments are correctly applied.

It's recommended to review the paperwork carefully and reach out to your ex-wife or her attorney to clarify any questions or concerns. You can also consult with an attorney who specializes in family law to ensure that your legal rights are protected and that you are not being unfairly penalized.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.