Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Mississippi

Q: Can I sue my child's dad for child support?

My daughter's dad hasn't paid child support and he's not on any court order to pay any. I just want to know my options

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ashley R. McKnight
Ashley R. McKnight
  • Gulfport, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: Paternity would need to be established before filing against him for child support. Once the Court determines he is the biological father, child support may be awarded based on a certain percentage of the father's adjusted gross income. The percentage will depend on how many children are involved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.