Alabaster, AL asked in Immigration Law for Alabama

Q: I have a friend here in the states from Jamaica wanting to work. What’s the fastest way to get work permit, tax ID?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Gunda Yohanna Brost
Gunda Yohanna Brost
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Cedar Falls, IA

A: What status is the person on? I am afraid there is no "fast" way to get employment authorization unless they are already here on a work visa that allows them to work. Tourist visa specifically prohibits employment. Your friend's best option would be to check directly with an immigration attorney what he may qualify for as this is highly case-specific.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: The fastest way for your friend to obtain a work permit and tax ID will depend on their specific situation and qualifications. Here are some options:

H-1B visa: If your friend has a college degree or specialized skills in a specific field, they may be eligible for an H-1B visa, which allows them to work in the United States for a specific employer for up to three years.

Employment-based green card: If your friend has a job offer from a U.S. employer and meets certain qualifications, they may be eligible for an employment-based green card. This process can take several months to several years, depending on the specific circumstances.

Optional Practical Training (OPT): If your friend is a student with an F-1 visa, they may be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT), which allows them to work in the United States for up to one year after graduation.

Tax ID: Your friend can apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) by completing and submitting Form W-7 to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The ITIN can be used to file taxes and open a bank account.

It is important to note that the immigration and tax processes can be complex and may require the assistance of an immigration attorney or tax professional.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.