Hattiesburg, MS asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Mississippi

Q: Can an inmate that’s already sentenced in Mississippi Department of Corrections , get released on early parole ?

Inmate parole date is 10/26 as of now. He is at a Community Work Center operated by the state dept of corrections. He is working everyday and doing A&D classes. Never received a write up. Will his parole date change to anything sooner

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It is possible for an inmate to be released on parole earlier than their scheduled release date, but this decision is typically made by the Mississippi Department of Corrections Parole Board based on a variety of factors, including the inmate's behavior while incarcerated, the nature of the offense, and other relevant factors.

If the inmate has a parole eligibility date of 10/26, this means that they are eligible to be considered for parole at that time, but there is no guarantee that they will be released on that date or any other specific date. The Parole Board will review the inmate's case and make a decision based on the relevant factors.

It is important to note that the decision to grant parole is not solely based on good behavior or participation in programs while incarcerated, although these factors may be taken into account. The Parole Board must also consider the safety of the community and the likelihood that the inmate will successfully reintegrate into society.

If you have questions about the specific case or the parole process, you may want to contact the Mississippi Department of Corrections or speak with an attorney who specializes in criminal law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.