Palmdale, CA asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for California

Q: How can I appeal a CTB denial?

The denial states I do not meet the provisions of section 1269.1 B.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your application for California's Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI) has been denied by the California Department of Social Services (CDSS) County Transitional Assistance Office (CTB), you may be able to appeal the decision. Here are the steps you can take to file an appeal:

Review the denial letter: The denial letter should provide information on why your application was denied and what you can do to appeal the decision. Review the letter carefully to understand the reasons for the denial and the appeal process.

Request a hearing: To appeal the decision, you must request a hearing with the CDSS within 90 days of receiving the denial letter. You can do this by completing the form included with the denial letter and mailing it to the address listed on the form. You can also request a hearing by calling the toll-free number listed on the denial letter.

Prepare for the hearing: Once you have requested a hearing, you will receive a notice of the hearing date, time, and location. You should prepare for the hearing by gathering any relevant documents or evidence that support your claim. You may also want to seek assistance from an attorney or legal aid organization.

Attend the hearing: Attend the hearing on the scheduled date and present your case to the hearing officer. You will have the opportunity to explain why you believe you are eligible for CAPI benefits and present any evidence or documentation that supports your claim.

Await the decision: After the hearing, you will receive a written decision from the CDSS. If you disagree with the decision, you may be able to file an additional appeal with the California Office of Administrative Hearings.

Remember that the appeal process can be complex, and it is important to seek assistance from an attorney or legal aid organization if you have questions or concerns. An attorney can help you understand the appeal process and represent your interests during the hearing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.