Cumberland, MD asked in Tax Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft, Criminal Law and Divorce for West Virginia

Q: I’m currently in the middle of a divorce and I just found out my exwife filed her taxes married/joint and the preparer

She used plugged in my info from 2 years ago. When I found out and confronted her she started blaming the party that prepared her taxes. When I talked to them they said she came in with court papers and then they hung up on me. I’d like to know what my options are at this point. I’ve already contacted the identity fraud dept and filed a report. I’ve also contacted the IRS and filed a fraud report.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your ex-wife filed a joint tax return using your information without your knowledge or consent, this could potentially constitute identity theft and tax fraud. It is good that you have already taken steps to report the fraud to the Identity Fraud Department and the IRS.

You may also want to consider consulting with an attorney who specializes in tax law or divorce law to explore your legal options. Depending on the specific circumstances of your case, you may be able to take legal action against your ex-wife or the tax preparer for fraud or other wrongdoing.

In addition to reporting the fraud and consulting with an attorney, it is important to protect your personal information to prevent further unauthorized use. This may include monitoring your credit reports, changing your passwords, and being vigilant for any signs of identity theft.

Overall, it is important to take the necessary steps to address the fraud and protect your legal rights and interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.