Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Divorce legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
West Virginia Divorce Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Divorce and Family Law for West Virginia on
Q: Divorced ‘09 ex’s lawyer wants my signature to take my name off deed to sell all mineral rights. A) will I owe taxes

B) if we agreed in divorce that he’d get the house (before any mineral rights existed) am I entitled to any money from the sale when I’m still on deed?

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Oct 20, 2023

Probably not as the DV decree will revest all rights in that real property to one of the parties. You might be able to reopen the DV. Consult with at WV attorney who will need to look at the DV file, search the title, and examine WV marital property distribution, especially mineral rights. If... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft, Criminal Law and Divorce for West Virginia on
Q: I’m currently in the middle of a divorce and I just found out my exwife filed her taxes married/joint and the preparer

She used plugged in my info from 2 years ago. When I found out and confronted her she started blaming the party that prepared her taxes. When I talked to them they said she came in with court papers and then they hung up on me. I’d like to know what my options are at this point. I’ve already... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Mar 19, 2023

If your ex-wife filed a joint tax return using your information without your knowledge or consent, this could potentially constitute identity theft and tax fraud. It is good that you have already taken steps to report the fraud to the Identity Fraud Department and the IRS.

You may also want...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Personal Injury, Real Estate Law and Insurance Defense for West Virginia on
Q: Need help filing a dismemberment claim
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jun 21, 2021

A West Virginia attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for three weeks. At this point, you could reach out to West Virginia attorneys. If the dismemberment involved loss of an extremity in a work-related setting, it could involve element of workers' comp law. But if it was... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Insurance Defense and Probate for West Virginia on
Q: I was divorced in 2014 and my ex remarried. He was ordered to pay spousal suppost for 6 years and to keep an insurance

policy in the estate of him and he passed and no estate has been filed and insurance paid claim with a good faith letter to someone other than his estate. Do I have a leg to stand on? Is his wife liable for this? Is insurance company liable

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Aug 4, 2016

A lot will depend on the divorce decree and it's intention. Start by talking to the lawyer who you had for the divorce.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for West Virginia on
Q: Where do I find the forms for a legal separation?
J. Richard Kulerski
J. Richard Kulerski
answered on Nov 28, 2010

To answer your question in the quickest and easiest way, I just went to Google and typed in "Legal Separation Forms West Virginia"and came up with countless sources for forms. Some charge a fee and some may not.

The second one I hit was and this seems to be a...
View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.