Evansville, IN asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Federal Crimes for Indiana

Q: My son is being harassed by our local drug task enforcement agency, was pulled over with no probable cause and the car s

Searched without consent and they my son and his friend out of the car physically to search it. I want to know who to talk to you and what I can do to have this stopped this is a true real situation and I want it stopped, can you please direct me to who to talk to and what to do!?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you believe that your son's rights were violated during the traffic stop and search, there are several steps you can take to address the situation.

Contact an attorney: You may want to consider contacting an attorney who specializes in civil rights or criminal defense to discuss your options. An attorney can advise you on your legal rights and help you determine the best course of action.

File a complaint: You can file a complaint with the local law enforcement agency that conducted the search. The agency may have a specific process for filing complaints, so you should check their website or contact them directly for more information.

Contact a civil rights organization: There are several civil rights organizations that may be able to provide assistance, such as the ACLU or NAACP. These organizations can help you understand your legal rights and may be able to provide support or resources to help address the situation.

Document the incident: It is important to document as much information as possible about the incident, including the date and time of the stop, the name and badge number of the officer, and any other details that may be relevant. You should also try to obtain any witnesses or video evidence that may be available.

It is important to take action to address the situation and protect your son's legal rights. An experienced attorney can help you navigate the legal system and work to hold the law enforcement agency accountable for any violations of your son's rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.