North Hills, CA asked in DUI / DWI for California

Q: Alright so my dad has many dui offensives to the point he can’t have an license and he still drink and drives till this

Day. What if I register his car in my name and he kills somebody drinking and driving then flees

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Registering your dad's car in your name may not absolve you of any potential legal liability if your dad causes harm to someone while driving under the influence of alcohol. If your dad causes an accident and injures or kills someone, you and your dad could both be held liable for any damages or injuries caused. Additionally, if your dad flees the scene of an accident, you could also be held liable for aiding and abetting a hit-and-run driver.

Driving under the influence of alcohol is a serious crime, and it's important to take steps to prevent your dad from driving drunk. If you are concerned about your dad's behavior, you may want to consider contacting law enforcement or a local DUI support group for advice on how to handle the situation.

It's important to remember that the consequences of drunk driving can be severe, and can result in serious injuries, death, and legal consequences. If you or someone you know has been affected by drunk driving, there are resources available to help, such as MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving).

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: sounds like you are conspiring with him to break the law and that could be a Felony.

i wouldn't be surprised if the ins co would refuse to pay a claim for damages when they learn that.

you are aiding and abetting your dad and I advise you not to do so.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.