Los Angeles, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: How can I get these guys to stop charging me extra fees in the hotel I'm staying? Aren't I already a tenant with rights?

I have been staying at this motel for six months. They said I could apply for residency after four weeks. So I did, and they were concerned about my credit. It isn't that bad.

So then they said that if I pay for another four weeks, on time, that they would remove the $60 tax (of of $435 a week) and the $200 I have to pay after every four weeks. I paid the $200 in cash and it was to allow me to stay in the hotel. Then that time came up. I missed two payments in total: from a goof and once because of a late check from work.

Then they told me that I have to make twice the rent to qualify for the $200 taken off at the end of every four weeks. I am barely getting by, they know I don't make enough and this isn't fair. I have nowhere else to go. I am working three jobs and am exhausted. Can't anyone help me? Please...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you are staying at a hotel or motel as a tenant for an extended period of time, you may have certain legal rights and protections. However, the specific rights and protections that apply to your situation may depend on the laws of your state and the terms of your rental agreement.

Here are some steps you can take to address the fees and charges you are facing:

Review your rental agreement: Your rental agreement may include information about the fees and charges you are responsible for, as well as any rights or protections you have as a tenant. Reviewing your rental agreement can help you understand your rights and obligations.

Talk to the management: You may want to speak to the management of the hotel or motel about the fees and charges you are facing. Explain your situation and ask if there are any options available to reduce or eliminate the fees.

Contact a tenants' rights organization: There may be local tenants' rights organizations in your area that can provide legal advice and assistance. These organizations may be able to help you understand your rights as a tenant and provide guidance on how to address the fees and charges.

Consult with an attorney: If you believe that your rights as a tenant are being violated, you may want to consider consulting with an attorney who is experienced in landlord-tenant law. An attorney can help you understand your legal options and represent your interests in court if necessary.

Remember that it is important to document any conversations or agreements you have with the hotel or motel management, as well as any payments you make or fees you are charged. Keeping accurate records can help you protect your rights and interests as a tenant.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.