Clifton, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: How to get a court order for landlord to allow pseg in the house to conduct an investigation to check my breaker box?

I live in a 2 family house. I'm paying for electricity in the common areas on the property. My landlord is aware of this. It is not stated in my lease I'm supposed to pay for common area electricity. I do not have access to basement, only the landlord and his mother do. His mother lives illegally in the basement. Pseg sent out an investigator to check my breakers. I gave the landlord 2 days notice the investigator was coming. The landlord won't cooperate and won't let pseg in the house. What are my options to get a court order so pseg can check my breakers and I can know exactly what I'm paying for? I also want to note pseg wants to change my meter, I gave him 2 weeks notice of this and he ignored the appointment. Pseg called him several times for both matters and he wouldn't answer his phone.


I’ve been living there for 5 years

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Schutz
Matthew Schutz
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Flemington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I guess the first question is how long have you lived there? If what you're saying is true, and you been living there for a while, it may be worthwhile to sue your landlord for damages or overbilling you on the electricity. As part of the lawsuit your entitled to have discovery (find out from the other party with a variety of tools what the facts are) 1 of them would be to allow physical inspection of the property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.