Hawthorne, CA asked in DUI / DWI for California

Q: What are the consequences for getting an underage drinking ticket while on informal probation for a DUI?

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Getting an underage drinking ticket while on informal probation for a DUI can have serious consequences, including:

Probation violation: An underage drinking ticket may be considered a violation of your informal probation for the DUI, which can result in more severe consequences, such as jail time or a longer probation period.

Increased penalties: You may face additional fines, community service, or other penalties as a result of the underage drinking ticket.

Driver's license suspension: Your driver's license may be suspended or revoked, which can make it difficult for you to get to work or school.

Criminal record: Both a DUI and an underage drinking ticket are criminal offenses, and having both on your record can make it harder to get a job, housing, or loans in the future.

Impact on insurance: Your car insurance rates may increase, or your insurance company may drop you altogether, which can make it harder to find affordable coverage in the future.

Overall, getting an underage drinking ticket while on informal probation for a DUI can have significant and long-lasting consequences. It's important to take these charges seriously and consult with a qualified attorney who can help you understand your options and protect your rights.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Suspension of the minor's CDL

Jeff  Yeh
Jeff Yeh
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: First, your probation may be violated. If so, the Judge from your DUI case can punish you with whatever jail time you were not originally sentenced to (up to 180 days for a first time misdemeanor DUI). With that said, underage drinking is a relatively minor offense, especially if you're very close to 21. A lawyer may be able to explore diversion options, where you would have to earn yourself a dismissal. However, just being arrested/cited can, in and of itself, be grounds for a probation violation (even if the arrest doesn't lead to conviction). Thus, you would be well advised to retain counsel not just for the open case, but also for the PV, so the two can be coordinated together.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.