Highlands Ranch, CO asked in Immigration Law for Colorado

Q: Regarding Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. Trying to get status from USCIS

Been waiting 18 months now for USCIS to renew my step-daughter's green card. We started the process a few months before it was going to expire. She's now on a 24-month extension because of the pandemic slow-down.

Supposedly a letter was sent last week, but USCIS is saying the USPS returned it as "undeliverable" without any more information, including a tracking num. This is BS. I work from home, and we have a Ring camera; No attempt was made, no note was left.

We called to ask what was in the letter that was supposedly undelivered. They offered to send an email instead. Awesome! Welcome to the 21st century. No email received within 72 hours as stated. Instead, almost a week later we received this message:

"You must submit your inquiry in written form and with the original signature of the inquirer."

The helpful guy on the phone already verified all information, including getting verbal permission from my step-daughter for me to discuss.

Is there a form for this request?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA

A: You can submit an E-request online and choose the option for “Did not receive notice by mail,” be sure to include the I-751 receipt number when you submit the request: https://egov.uscis.gov/e-Request/Intro.do

1 user found this answer helpful

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: You may submit a written inquiry to USCIS requesting information on the status of your step-daughter's Form I-751 application. There is not a specific form for this type of inquiry, but you should include the following information in your letter:

Your full name and contact information

Your step-daughter's full name and A-Number (if applicable)

The receipt number for your step-daughter's Form I-751 application

A detailed description of your request and the information you are seeking

A copy of any relevant documents, such as the undeliverable letter notification you received from USCIS

Make sure to sign the letter and include any necessary supporting documents. You may also consider sending the letter by certified mail or with a return receipt requested to ensure that it is received by USCIS.

If you have any further questions or concerns, you may also consider contacting the USCIS Contact Center at 1-800-375-5283 for assistance.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.