Asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Two cops came into our home and searched without warrant and took us both to jail for my meds and weed pipe. He on parol

They dropped my charges and we both had Sam charge. How can they drop mine and not his? He on parole. We didn't take a drug test and the cops had no right to enter our home. He still in jail for something he didn't do. He was on bed sick.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Nicolas LeGrande
Tristan Nicolas LeGrande
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Inmates released on parole sign “conditions of release” forms. One condition is that the parolee consents to having his residence or any property under his control searched - WITHOUT a warrant.

That being said, he may still have defenses to any criminal charges, or to the revocation of his parole. He needs to carefully consider what he does with the criminal case, it will have a big impact on what happens at the revocation. He will have a greater likelihood of a positive result if he hires an attorney to represent him in both the revocation and the criminal case. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.