Millersville, MD asked in Family Law and Real Estate Law for Georgia

Q: I need assistance with a family dispute over real estate.


I am looking for legal assistance to assist me in my efforts to dissolve a property I own with my daughter. We purchased the home on 9 September 2022. She and I were supposed to live there together but due to unforeseen circumstances we are not able to do-habitat.

The sale price, less realtor fees, taxes, etc., was $207,000. I transferred my daughter $38,000 for closing. She contributed $20,000 for closing. I paid the remains balance off at the end of. September 2022.

I sold the home I was living in and shipped all of my household items to the new home. The only items my daughter had prior to moving into the house were her bedroom set, mattress, plates, flatware, and pots and pans. All of wish I gifted her.

My ideal resolution would be to give her the $20,000 she helped to put down and have her name removed from the deed. I realize that is probably not going to be the outcome, but it’s a starting point.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James Clifton
James Clifton
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Legally, if you could not come to an agreement regarding buying out her ownership interest in the property, you would need to seek a partition, which would split the property. If the property could not be split equitably, the court would order a sale of the property. If you want to avoid that, you will need to negotiate the transfer of your daughter's interest to you. Please feel free to reach out for a free consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.