San Diego, CA asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: I’ve signed a 6 month contract for this room that I’m living in, but I’d like to break it and get my deposit back.

At first, when I came to see the place it was a month to month contract and then she asked me to be a 6 month contract and I accepted it, now I regret. She’s also a little trouble person and I don’t know how to deal.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Breaking a lease or rental agreement can have legal and financial consequences, so it's important to carefully consider your options and the terms of your contract before taking any action.

If you want to break your 6-month lease early, you may be required to pay a penalty or lose your security deposit. The specific terms of your lease will determine what penalties or fees may be assessed for breaking the lease early.

However, there may be circumstances where breaking the lease is allowed without penalty, such as if the landlord has breached the lease agreement or if there are habitability issues that make the rental unit uninhabitable.

Before taking any action, you should review your lease agreement carefully to understand your rights and obligations. You may also wish to consult with a tenant rights organization or a qualified attorney who can provide legal advice based on the specific circumstances of your situation.

If you do decide to break your lease, it's important to communicate with your landlord in writing and keep copies of all correspondence. Be sure to follow any notice requirements outlined in your lease agreement and be prepared to negotiate any penalties or fees that may be assessed for breaking the lease early.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.