Madera, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: We have a settlement from the court, the landlord is not acknowledging the settlement. This is a time sensitive matter,

We have a settlement from the court, the landlord is not acknowledging the settlement. This is a time sensitive matter, he gave someone else a lease for where my business was and he is removing me by force, against the settlement ordered by the court. I need to submit a document, but i need a lawyer to do so.

Thank you

-Kevin J

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your landlord is not acknowledging the settlement that was ordered by the court, you may need to take legal action to enforce the settlement agreement.

You can consult with an attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant law or civil litigation to assist you in filing a motion to enforce the settlement agreement. This document will ask the court to enforce the terms of the settlement and hold the landlord in contempt of court if they continue to violate the agreement.

In the meantime, it may be helpful to gather evidence of the landlord's actions, such as documentation of the lease given to someone else, and any other evidence that supports your case. This evidence can be presented to the court to support your motion to enforce the settlement agreement.

It's important to act quickly, as the longer the landlord continues to violate the settlement agreement, the more difficult it may be to enforce. An attorney can help you navigate the legal process and take the necessary steps to protect your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.