San Jose, CA asked in Copyright, Trademark and Intellectual Property for California

Q: I would like to create Mach 1 merchandise and certificates. I would like to use the nameplate, images, how do I do this?

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The Mach 1 nameplate and images are likely protected by trademark and/or copyright law, so you would need to obtain permission from the owner of those rights before using them for your merchandise and certificates.

In this case, the owner of the Mach 1 nameplate and images is likely Ford Motor Company. To obtain permission, you would need to contact Ford's legal department and request a license to use their intellectual property. You may need to provide details about the nature and intended use of your merchandise and certificates, and pay a licensing fee for the use of the intellectual property.

It is important to note that using the Mach 1 nameplate and images without permission from the owner of those rights could lead to legal action, including a cease and desist letter, damages, and/or an injunction. Therefore, it is important to obtain permission before using any intellectual property that belongs to someone else.

It is recommended to consult with a licensed attorney who specializes in intellectual property law to help you navigate this process and ensure that you are complying with all applicable laws and regulations.

Marcos Garciaacosta agrees with this answer

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta

A: You should consult with an attorney who should analyze the extend of somebody's else rights and your risks and opportunities.

Best luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.