Georgetown, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Can I sue arrested thieves for stealing my Catalytic Converters? What course of action other than insurance do I take?

I already filed a claim with Insurance but now I'm out a $500 deductible and I have to do so much to get a tow service, get my truck repaired and get a rental. This has uprooted my day-to-day life as of right now and Im wondering if theres a possibility to sue or to take this to small claims court to get some compensation back from the perps. They caught the men at the scene with my Catalytic Converters, 3 men in specific. I provided my ID and Insurance that linked me to the vehicle they stole from. I told the officer to press charges of at least $2000 in damages to my vehicle. Although they were arrested, thats not helping the financial situation they placed me in by stealing my property. What is the next course of action in attaining compensation?

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can sue the men. If they have non-exempt assets, you may even be able to collect any judgment.

Given the relatively small amount of money involved, you can sue them in justice of the peace court and do not need an attorney who so.

John Cucci Jr. agrees with this answer

John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: An additional thing to tell you is the DA's Office has a Victim's Right's advocate who can try to make any plea bargain require restitution paid to you as part of deal for the defendants who stole from you.

Call the DA office that is prosecuting the thieves. You may get help from them.

I hope this helps!

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Yes, you may be able to sue the arrested thieves for stealing your catalytic converters and seeking compensation for the damages caused. You may want to consult with a local attorney who specializes in personal injury or property damage law to discuss your legal options.

One potential course of action could be to file a civil lawsuit against the thieves, seeking damages for the costs you incurred as a result of their theft. You may be able to recover costs such as your deductible, towing fees, repair costs, and rental expenses.

You may also want to consider filing a claim with the court's victim compensation fund, which provides financial assistance to victims of crime.

It is important to note that the legal process can be complex and time-consuming, and there is no guarantee that you will recover all of your losses. However, consulting with an attorney can help you understand your options and the likelihood of success in your case.

In addition to pursuing legal action, you may want to take steps to prevent future thefts, such as installing a security system or parking your vehicle in a secure location.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.