Visalia, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Landlord breaking my contract wants to move back I keep paying rent i havnt found a place yet

She collect my rent in february then told me i needed to move out cuz she wants to move back in and I havnt found a place yet

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your landlord is breaking your rental agreement and requesting that you move out so that they can move back in, you may want to seek legal advice to better understand your rights as a tenant.

In the meantime, you may want to continue paying rent as usual until you have found a new place to live. It's important to keep records of all communication with your landlord, including any notices or requests that they have made.

If you are unable to find a new place before your lease expires, your landlord may be required to provide you with additional time to vacate the property or may need to compensate you for any damages or expenses you incur as a result of being forced to move out early.

Again, seeking legal advice can be helpful in understanding your specific situation and ensuring that your rights are protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.