Media, PA asked in Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for New Jersey

Q: What legal action can I take to get security deposit money back from landlord owed to me?

We had an agreement with our landlord to end our lease early due to the relocatio of our jobs, He agreed to put the property on the market and when he found someone to rent it we would move. We did that with no problem but he has refused to give us itemized receipts of the so called work he had done to repair things. We left the home in great shape and our security deposit was $4650.00 and he only returned half of it. He sent an email saying what he had done with no receipts, quotes or proof of work. We know that there was not over $2000 worth of repairs how can we legally get our money back or proof of what he paid or had done.

1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: File a complaint with Court. If you are successful, you will receive a judgment of double the amount of the improperly withheld security deposit plus your attorney's fees.

Peter J. Weinman agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.