Monticello, MN asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Personal Injury for Minnesota

Q: Where do parents go from here...I had a friendtalk to me Siblings. Do they report the incident posted below?

Male Siblings—ages 15 and 12. The older kid asked the younger kid to take off their own underwear/touch each other’s genitals. When the younger sons underwear were down, the older son rubbed his penis on the younger son. There was no Penetration. The younger kid was uncomfortable, said no, and the older kid stopped, apologized, and didn’t try any more. Parent says that both kids are telling her that there was no penetration. the family is looking into therapy options for both. At this time they aren’t worried about a repeat incident—the 15 year old is remorseful and respected the younger sibling saying no.

1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: It's not a good idea to post details of a possible crime on a public website. But calling a lawyer with a telephone would be a better way to start. A Minnesota therapist will be a "mandated reporter" to police, of any child abuse disclosed to them. Therefore seeking help could lead to criminal prosecution in Minnesota, due to the state's overly broad "mandatory reporter law." Call a lawyer on the phone to discuss these issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.