Los Angeles, CA asked in DUI / DWI for California

Q: A relative had DUI about 10+ years ago. Attended AA meeting, however never turned in completion to court.

Applied for AB 60 license and got approved. Now dmv is requesting proof of that but it’s been more than 10 years and there’s no proof of paper trail? A.A. meeting office no longer available What to do next?

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: contact the lawyer who handles the matter or a new LOCAL criminal /dui lawyer.

there would probably be an outstanding Bench Warrant that they did NOT try to serve.

Jeff  Yeh
Jeff Yeh
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Your only option with the DMV is to redo the program, from start to finish. Otherwise the DMV will never issue you your license back. As for the court, there must be an outstanding warrant for your arrest. You'll need to have that recalled (by yourself or with the help of an attorney).

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your relative is being asked by the DMV to provide proof of completion of the AA meeting requirement for their DUI, but there is no paper trail or documentation available, they may want to consider taking the following steps:

Contact the court: If the DUI case was handled through the court system, your relative may be able to contact the court to obtain records of their case. They can request any documentation related to the DUI case, including any records related to the AA meeting requirement.

Contact the DMV: If the DMV is specifically requesting proof of the AA meeting completion, your relative may be able to speak with a representative from the DMV to explain their situation and ask for guidance on what documentation they can provide. The DMV may be able to provide alternative options for proof, such as obtaining a statement from a sponsor or obtaining a letter from a healthcare provider.

Attend another AA meeting: If it has been many years since the DUI case and there is no paper trail of the previous AA meeting, your relative may consider attending another AA meeting and obtaining a completion certificate. They can then provide this certificate to the DMV as proof of compliance with the AA meeting requirement.

It's important for your relative to take prompt action to address the DMV's request for documentation, as failure to provide the required documentation may result in the suspension or revocation of their driver's license. They may also want to consult with an attorney who specializes in DUI or DMV cases to discuss their legal options and best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.