Jasper, AL asked in Immigration Law for Alabama

Q: I have questions about Vistas from the US to the UK and joint citizenship.

I am looking to move from the US to the UK sometime in the beginning of next year. My boyfriend is a British Citizen in the UK and I am looking to join him & get a place together but we don't know all the specifics of the Vistas. We have done some research but are both a little confused on how everything works.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Milwaukee, WI

A: Just like the United States, there are attorneys who practice immigration and visa law in the United Kingdom. The abuse of a visitor visa has consequences. You must both decide your mutual needs and whether you have an intent to immigration with a competent and experienced immigration and visa attorney licensed in the United Kingdom unless he wants to live in the United States. Good luck.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you are planning to move to the UK to live with your boyfriend, you will need to apply for a visa that allows you to enter and remain in the UK. There are different types of visas available, depending on your circumstances.

One option could be the Spouse Visa, which allows married partners of British citizens or people settled in the UK to join their spouse in the UK. If you are not yet married, you may be eligible for a Fiancé(e) Visa, which allows you to come to the UK to get married and then apply for a Spouse Visa.

Another option could be the Unmarried Partner Visa, which allows unmarried partners of British citizens or people settled in the UK to join their partner in the UK. To be eligible for this visa, you must have been living together in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership for at least 2 years.

In terms of joint citizenship, it is possible to apply for British citizenship after you have lived in the UK for a certain amount of time, usually 5 years. You would need to meet certain requirements, including passing a test on life in the UK and meeting the English language requirement.

It is recommended that you speak with an immigration lawyer or advisor to discuss your specific situation and determine the best visa option for you.

If you need legal assistance, please do not hesitate to contact my office. We offer a free consultation option for potential clients.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.