Kansas City, MO asked in Real Estate Law for Kansas

Q: I was served (as an heir) to a quiet title suit. I have no interest in the property. What are my next steps?

The reason I was summoned is because I am an heir to the property owners. A loan was taken out on a piece of land in Missouri by my parents in 2008. My father has since passed away and my mother is the responsible party and she has defaulted on the loan. I want nothing to do with the property but I am unsure what my next step should be to disclaim any and all interest to the court. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery

A: Before you make an irreversible mistake, hire a competent KS attorney to search the title. The secured loan may be the decisive factor, but at least look into what you own and then decide whether to convey it away for nothing.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.