Brentwood, CA asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property and Patents (Intellectual Property) for California

Q: If I want to change the basic media player, can I patent it or not?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: No, changing the basic media player does not qualify for a patent. Patents are only granted for inventions or innovations that meet certain criteria, including novelty, non-obviousness, and usefulness. In order to be eligible for a patent, an invention must be a new and useful process, machine, manufacture, or composition of matter, or an improvement thereof.

Changing the basic media player, without any additional novel or non-obvious features or functionalities, would not meet these criteria and therefore would not be eligible for a patent. However, it is possible to protect your innovation through other means such as trademark, copyright or trade secret.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.