Clifton, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: How do I write a notice to cease for harassment to my landlord?

My landlord filed for eviction on February 13th, 2023. I was advised by the lawyer to just wait for my hearing. My landlord since filing has begun harassing my son and I. He tried to have the uhaul we were renting towed from the yard, he called uhaul and reported it stolen prior to calling the tow truck company. They did show up to the house to tow the truck. He also sent me a text that we were no longer allowed to park in the yard in our spot. My lease states we are allowed 1 parking spot. He's come to the house and screamed and cursed at my son to come outside and fight him. He just recently sent me a text that if we park one of our cars in our spot, we are not allowed to drive into the yard with our other car and if we do, he will have the parked car towed. He stated we are not allowed on the premises with our other car. My son and I have filed harassment complaints with the local police department. Should I write a notice to cease for harassment to my landlord?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Report the acts of the Landlord to your lawyer. If you are not represented, send a first class as well as a certified mail return receipt requested letters to the Landlord. Advise him that his actions are violating the quiet enjoyment provision in the lease. Include a statement that if he continues, you will pay the monthly rent due into an escrow account in a timely fashion which will released to him at the end of each month provided the landlord has not harnessed you during the month.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.