Q: The state of Oregon suspended my personal commercial fishing license.my boat license and my commercial limited entry cra

Crab permit.now I can't even work my own business. Have someone else run my business,or get a job in my industry.bills are piling up.i state won't allow me unemployment or any assistance. I'm about to loose my family business of 51 years

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: Your question might be beyond the scope of this Q & A forum - that could be why it remained open for three weeks. I'm sorry for your difficult position with the loss of the license. This is a very narrow area of law; there are attorneys out there who handle commercial fishing license matters. But they are few and far between. You could search online and additionally check the classified ad sections of commercial fishing publications. A good number of them are online. Unfortunately, most maritime attorneys who deal with Jones Act and other vessel-related matters do not handle permitting. There could be other possible leads you hopefully come across in commercial fishing journals, such as cooperatives and associations. It's possible their members might know of legal resources through word of mouth. Commercial fishermen do seek out need legal assistance in this area, and hopefully through word of mouth or advertisement, you could locate legal assistance. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.