New York, NY asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law, Federal Crimes and Personal Injury for New Jersey

Q: What recourse do I have because my partner has been financially, emotionally and psychologically abusing me for six year

He convinced me to sell my house in brooklyn and now the money is gone and I owe the IRS. He makes me feel worthless and blames me for everything, I am severely depressed and have anxiety disorder because of all this. I feel like I can't do anything.

2 Lawyer Answers
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You really need to retain an experienced matrimonial attorney with extensive domestic violence trial experience to obtain a Final Restraining Order against him. With modern technology, you can be represented by any high-quality attorney in New Jersey irrespective of geography. Pick the best attorney you can find and remember one rule: a good attorney is generally never cheap, and a cheap attorney is generally never good so don't choose based on price.

Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The answer is that you start off meeting with a divorce lawyer to divorce him and move on with your life. During your meeting with the divorce lawyer, you then detail all of his bad actions to determine if you have any other recourse against him as part of the divorce ( and whether he has liability as a result of the sale of your home).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.