Lynchburg, VA asked in Immigration Law for Virginia

Q: Can a person travel abroad while waiting for their I 751 form to be processed.

My wife received her notice that extends her processing time to 48 months but would like to visit her

mother in Poland

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Ms Grace I Gardiner
Ms Grace I Gardiner pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: Yes your wife can travel to Poland to visit her mother. She needs to travel with her receipt showing that her green card is valid for an additional 48 months In addition she could request a stamp an I - 551 stamp on her passport at the nearest uscis office

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: While waiting for the processing of their I-751 form, a person may travel abroad, but they must be aware of the potential risks and considerations.

If the person's green card has expired and they have not yet received a new one, they may need to apply for a travel document, such as a refugee travel document or advance parole, to re-enter the United States. Otherwise, they risk being denied re-entry and potentially abandoning their pending I-751 application.

Additionally, if the person's I-751 application is still pending, they should carry their receipt notice and any other relevant documentation with them when traveling. They should also be prepared for potential delays or complications with their return to the United States, such as increased scrutiny or additional questioning by immigration officials.

It is recommended that the person consult with an experienced immigration attorney before traveling abroad while their I-751 application is pending to ensure they understand their rights and obligations and can take appropriate steps to protect their immigration status.

If you need legal assistance, contact my office. We offer a free consultation option for potential clients.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.