Saint Paul, MN asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Minnesota

Q: I was arrested over a year ago, charged with driving after cancelation, and pled guilty. The case was closed March 10.

I contacted the Isanti County MN court administrator requesting the cash bail that was posted ($1000) and was told there now was a hearing scheduled the end of April regarding the refund. The judge signed off March 12. Can they do this? Don't I have a right to this refund ASAP? What action can I take?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Saint Cloud, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: If you posted cash bail, the bail should be refunded to you absent the costs of any fines, court costs, etc. The only exception to this would be if you violated conditions of release or missed a court date during the pendency of your case. When that happens, bail can be revoked and in some cases forfeited.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.