Sidney, MI asked in Family Law, Probate and Child Support for Michigan

Q: If there is a guardianship (full) order in place that lists a father but he isn't on the birth certificate what happens

I have guardianship of my grandson and there isn't a father listed on his birth certificate but there is on the guardianship paper work. Will they go after this person for child support or will they try to establish paternity first?

This is a follow up question to a question I asked previously. My previous question was: "What happens if there is no father listed on the birth certificate and I get Medicaid for my kids? (Michigan)":

It was answered: The state will probably seek paternity and a support order on the child's behalf. (Thank you for answering!)

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If the government is going to be on the hook you bet your booty the government is going to be trying to get the father to pay support.

To do that they will need to prove paternity in some way. (You don’t have to pay to support some stranger’s kids after all and momma’s baby, pappa’s maybe as we used to say.)

So the answer is ‘they’ll be doing those things at the same time not first or second’. The support petition will include a provision for assuming (or proving) paternity (if there is a challenge.)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.