Pocola, OK asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law

Q: What can I do by my being forced to sign selling my home when I changed my mind last minute!!!!! I was forced !

I was scammed on my home selling! all leflore county is corrupt! I know first hand besides this !!! In deaths!!!!

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: Ordinarily, when a Seller signs an earnest money contract for the sale of a home, the Seller is committed to moving ahead with the sale unless specific provisions in the earnest money contract give the Seller a right to cancel. It is unusual for such a contract to give the Seller an escape clause other than for issues surrounding the Buyer's ability to secure third-party financing in a timely manner. It would be extremely unusual for an earnest money contract to include a escape clause for the Seller solely because the Seller changed their mind.

Unless a provision in the earnest money contract gives the Seller a right to cancel, a court will likely compel "specific performance" by the Seller of the contract at the sales price stated in the contract.

1 user found this answer helpful

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: It could depend on the contract provisions in terms of cancellation rights, penalties, etc. If you were scammed, as you mentioned, in terms of fraud or other deceitful conduct, that's something that an attorney could explore. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.