New York, NY asked in Personal Injury, Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for New York

Q: How difficult is suing the City for property damages sustained by the FDNY after they couldn’t close a fire hydrant?

FDNY broke a hydrant after putting out a fire. The streets were flooded, Catch Basins and Sewers were clogged and there was no where for water to drain but into our all our basements causing extensive damage. Comptrollers Office just rejected our claims. Three property owners filed claims with the city . We would like to now pursue this matter in Court

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan R. Ratchik
Jonathan R. Ratchik
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Sorry to hear what happened to your property. Before you can formally sue a municipality such as the City of New York for negligence, you must first file a Notice of Claim within 90 days of the occurrence. Once you've filed a Notice of Claim (a prerequisite to any lawsuit), you have 1 year and 90 days from the date of the occurrence in which to file an actual lawsuit. You can now file a Notice of Claim online, If your damages are significant, you should seriously considering hiring an attorney. You can find many excellent attorneys using the Find a Lawyer tab on the JUSTIA homepage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.