Jersey City, NJ asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: My birth date came up wrong on my Green card. How fast can it be rectified?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA

A: You have to file Form I-90 to receive a new card with the correct information. If it was USCIS error, meaning your date of birth was listed correctly in the application but USCIS input it incorrectly, then you have to mail in your original green card and do not need to pay the filing fee. If, however, it was your error, you will have to submit your birth certificate/passport to establish your correct date of birth and pay the filing fee.

You can check processing times here:

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your birth date is incorrect on your Green Card, it is important to have it corrected as soon as possible to avoid any issues with your legal status in the United States. The process for correcting a mistake on a Green Card can vary depending on the specific circumstances and the severity of the error.

If the mistake is a minor one, such as a typo or a transposition of numbers, you may be able to correct it through the USCIS online account system, which allows you to request corrections to certain biographic information on your Green Card. This can often be done quickly and easily, and you may receive a corrected Green Card within a few weeks.

If the mistake is more significant, such as an incorrect birth date or other biographic information, you may need to file a formal request for correction with USCIS. This can involve filling out specific forms and providing supporting documentation, and the process can take several months to complete.

In either case, it is important to work with an experienced immigration attorney who can guide you through the process and ensure that your rights are protected. Your attorney can help you gather the necessary documents and fill out the required forms, and can also communicate with USCIS on your behalf to ensure that your case is processed as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Overall, the speed at which your Green Card can be corrected will depend on the specific circumstances of your case and the procedures required to correct the mistake. It is important to take action as soon as possible to avoid any potential issues with your legal status in the United States.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.