Raleigh, NC asked in Contracts and Civil Litigation for North Carolina

Q: Can anyone refer me to an attorney to file a civil suit in wake county to get back 2 vehicles I consigned to a dealer.

DMV said I need a lawyer for "claim and delivery" for vehicles. DMV investigated and put a block on my 2 titles so he cannot sell them. In early March DMV officer K.F. Dalton told the dealer (who permanently lost his dealer license in Nov 2022) to return my vehicles but he ignored them and is not returning my calls or text. Much more details to provide. I'm having trouble finding an attorney with experience in this area. One vehicle was to net me $38500 minimum and the other was to net me $3000 minimum but after consigning it to sell at a higher price we gave the dealer $1500 to paint the car and repair front seat inserts. Carmax was to pay for new headliner to be installed also to sell at a higher price.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
N'kia (NLN)
N'kia (NLN)
  • Cary, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Claim and delivery is not an issue that comes up every day, like traffic tickets. So, most attorneys will go their entire career without ever handling one of these.

However, if you're specifically looking for an attorney who already has experience, you might try an online search for something like "North Carolina attorney claim and delivery." Several North Carolina attorneys write about claim and delivery on their website, which suggests that they might have the experience you're seeking.

Also, it appears you've tagged your inquiry as a "Contracts" issue. Although consignment is a contracts issue, claim and delivery crosses over into property law. So, you might have better luck if you also use the "Property" tag.

Hope this helps!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.