Rochester, NY asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for New York

Q: How to do I go after someone for not telling me they have an STD?

I’ve read it’s illegal for someone to have herpes and not disclose that before getting intimate. I only ever found out because he is carrying around a bottle of the pills and I confronted him. How do I pursue charges for this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan R. Ratchik
Jonathan R. Ratchik
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If you wish to press criminal charges against the individual (having intercourse while you are knowingly infected is a misdemeanor), you would have to report the matter to the police and see if they are willing to pursue. With regard to pursuing a civil lawsuit against the individual, if the failure to disclose an STD intentional, you would have one (1) year from the date of exposure in which to file a lawsuit; if it was unintentional / neglect, you would have three (3) years in which to file a civil lawsuit. Best to speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer. You can find many excellent attorneys using the Find a Lawyer tab on the JUSTIA homepage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.