Asbury Park, NJ asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: I am disabled, 57 years old and a single female. I have been living in a 55 + condo for 20 yrs . About a year & 1/2

ago, my daughter and my 2 young grandchildren (ages 5-6) moved in with me due to domestic violence . She has a final restraining order. I have been taking care of them while my daughter worked.

I have a physical disability (spinal stenosis) and a traumatic brain injury from a serious fall where I fell over a concrete parking barrier and landed straight onto my head 7 years ago. I need a cane to walk and cannot climb more than 2 small flights of stairs.

My mother has owned this condo all this time. She is also physically disabled and on medicare.

Condo Assoc has filed a Summons with all our names on it asking us to leave. Gave us 30 days, now we have to be out before April 12.

My family are now moving into my mother’s house.

Can I stay in my condo.? I have been a model resident for 20 years.

I’ve been looking for housing for months but they are very expensive for me, who live on Medicare.

Am I able to stay in my condo now that I’m alone again ?

1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: A summons is merely notice that a complaint has been filed with the Court. You failed to state if a complaint was annexed to the summons. If you are the owner, you must comply with the HOA documents. A complaint would mention what acts are in violation. So it is difficult to describe what you must do other than file an answer with the Court.

Peter J. Weinman agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.