Birmingham, AL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Alabama

Q: My friends child accidentally filled her Water bottle with alchol that was in the fridge and brought it to school.

My friends child accidentally filled her Water bottle with alchol that was in the fridge and brought it to school. She was getting ready for work and asked her 8yr old to fill her water bottle from the water purifier in the fridge. She had a bottle of clear alchol in the refrigerator and the child accidentally filled it with that. At snack time she took a sip, spit it out immediately, told the teacher it tasted like soapy water. The teacher smelled it and told the principal it was alchol. They called an ambulance and the police. They gave the police the bottle. She didn't ingest any but they took her to the doctor and ran tests that came back negative for alchol. She doesnt know that it was the alchol cause the school wouldn't let her taste or smell the bottle. My question is will she have a problem with DHR taking her child from her? No one has contacted her and it's been a couple days now. It was a complete accident and she has never had a problem with DHR or child endangerment.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Robertsdale, AL

A: I think she should sit tight. If her facts are as she states, and she can convince a judge of that, she won't have a problem. What was the "clear alcohol?" If it was gin, it makes sense.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.