Brooklyn, NY asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New York

Q: Can I apply for my child passport if I have sole legal custody? And Do I need the father to fill out DS-3053?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel B. Zarnowski
Daniel B. Zarnowski pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Littleton, CO

A: The State Department is going to require some additional documentation to establish that you have the right to sign the form without the other parent, if you cannot get the other parent to write an affidavit (signed and notarized), you will have to provide the court order and other documents accompanying that such as the birth certificate etc. It may take longer to go through this process, so start early if you are planning a trip.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.