Nelsonville, OH asked in Municipal Law for Ohio

Q: I bought a truck from my friend we kept it in his name until it was paid off after it was paid off we went and got the

Title put into my name but it was only notorized. Well June 17th 2021 the Morrow County Sheriff's Office came to my residence and told me that my buddy's babys mom got power of attorney since he was arrested and she reported the truck as stolen knowing full well that I paid that truck off and just hadn't gotten time to get the title full in my name. So the impounded my truck and she kept it for 2 weeks. I called everybody up there the officer in charge and all to no avail . My buddy took away her power of attorney and gave it to his sister and told the officer that the truck was indeed my truck and not stolen . I lost work due to no transportation and having to find out about my truck. My question is can I sue the sheriff's office and her for false report? And for removing my truck and releasing it to her?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: No, you cannot sue the sheriff’s department because it has immunity.

Yes, you can sue your friend’s mother for falsely reporting the truck stolen. She could plead a failure to mitigate your damages to limit any recovery to two weeks’ cost for a rental car to take you to work.

You will need to decide whether two weeks’ wages or two weeks’ of the cost of a rental car will be worth the time and effort to you to bring a small claims lawsuit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.