Durham, NC asked in Landlord - Tenant for North Carolina

Q: I live in North Carolina and in a bad relationship with my girl friend and would like to get out of it

I am 64 years old and living with my girl friend. My girl friend came to live with me about 8 years ago, few years after I bought my house. My girl friend and I have no children together. The house and all the utilities are on my name and I have always paid for all the house related expenses (mortgage, utilities, repairs, etc…). When she came to live with me my expectation was that, once she had settled and had recovered from heavy credit card debts she had at the time she would participate to some of the expenses but she never did, except for part of the groceries. Also her 30 years old daughter has moved in with us 6 years ago after she broke up with her boy friend. She does not participate to any expense either. I feel being taken advantage of and want this relationship to end for good and my girl friend and her daughter to leave my house and go their own way. My girl friend refuses to hear me and gets angry. I need to understand what my options are to force them to leave

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
N'kia (NLN)
N'kia (NLN)
  • Cary, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Your issue is potentially complex. There are several possible ways that you might be able to handle it, but an attorney would need to gather more information to be able to evaluate which option might be most appropriate.

You may consider starting by consulting with a landlord-tenant attorney. Eviction ("summary ejectment") may or may not be an option, depending on the totality of the circumstance. But a landlord-tenant attorney should be able to advise you on the gamut of options, as well as represent you in court if needed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.