Detroit, MI asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Arkansas

Q: In Arkansas, what is the easiest and cheapest legal way to get a person off a deed who’s not supposed to be on the deed?

I live in Michigan.

In Arkansas, my brother and I inherited land from my deceased father. Using a lawyer, he had purchased land from relatives using quit claim deeds.

However, to save money, he used a Bill of Sale to purchase land from one relative. This relative is still listed on the deed. I have the Bill of Sale and cancelled check proving that my father brought one acre of land from this relative. In order to get his name off the deed, I have asked this relative to quit claim the one acre to my brother and I; he refused. We would like to sale this land.

We are not financially able to retain a lawyer. We will be going through the legal process ourselves.

I would appreciate your assistance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Bill of Sale is not a conveyance. Suing for Specific Performance will cost some money. Call AR attorneys who handle property litigation. A Partition suit is probably your best option, and hopefully the lawyers can get paid from sale proceeds.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.