San Antonio, TX asked in Family Law and Real Estate Law for Oklahoma

Q: My step grandfather died recently and his estranged niece changed the locks on his house locking me out.

I've lived with him the past 8 years. I'm the only family that was present in his life. He married my grandma when my dad was a child. His only blood relative is an estranged niece from his sister. He planned to leave everything to me so my kids and I wouldn't be kicked out but he died before he could do so. The estranged niece showed up the day he died after I left to handle arrangements and changed all the locks. Locking me out of the house. She said the land and house is hers since she's the only blood relative and I have no rights to be there and did the exact thing my grandpa worried would happen.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter J. Weinman
Peter J. Weinman pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Even if her right to the property is superior to yours, she had no right to lock you out of your home without due process and a court order. I would call the police (not 911).

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.