La Vergne, TN asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Small Claims and Legal Malpractice for Tennessee

Q: What can I do about a lawer not returning my retainer?

I paid a lawyer $3500 for a child visitation. He drew up a parenting plan. But the mother and I came to a agreement without the courts. So I told him to take out for the plan and hrs worked and to send back the rest. He basically is giving me the run around and avoiding me. I never signed no contract with him and paid him through a website he provided

1 Lawyer Answer
Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
  • Legal Malpractice Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Request, in writing, an itemized time statement. If it is not provided contact the State Bar and look into fee arbitration or small claims court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.