Trumbull, CT asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Connecticut

Q: My grandfather died in 2002.He has an open bank account.No will.Is there any way to access it?

He was not on Title 19 at death but was at one time. Would the state just take the money?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Ann Subbloie
Linda Ann Subbloie
  • New Haven, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: If the account is under $40,000 then you can file with the probate court in the district where he lived a simplified estate intestate. Intestate means the estate passes by statute instead of a will. The statute explains who in the bloodline will inherit.

If the account is over $40,000, same as above except it is not a simplified estate but requires more time and more paperwork.

You can go to the probate website for the state of Connecticut for more information.

I don't know if the state will tell you, but you can try calling them to see if they have a lien against his estate. Otherwise, whether they take the money or not depends on whether they have a lien.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.