Washington, DC asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Maryland

Q: What legal actions can I take against my children’s father for neglect and abandonment in Maryland?

I am currently Homeless I have two small toddlers, and I am currently pregnant. The father of my children refuses to provide any help and does not pick the children up one days he said he supposed to. He does not send financial help, and he is verbally, and sometimes physically abusive to me. What legal actions can I take against him for the sake of myself and my children?

1 Lawyer Answer
Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann
  • Crownsville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: First, if you are homeless with children the immediate need would seem to be to secure housing for your family. A variety of government and non-government agencies are available to help. The local Department of Social Services may be a good place to start, or you may want to reach out to an organization that helps victims of domestic violence with housing and other legal resources, including if appropriate securing protective orders or other safety legal measures (House of Ruth, YWCA and many other organizations are dedicated to helping).

It isn't clear if you are located in DC or MD. In MD, for assistance with seeking child support from your children's father, you might go to a free family law "pro se" clinic staffed by volunteer family law attorneys that generally open to the public several days a week. In many counties this service is offered in the law library in the Circuit Court, but you can check with the specific county you may be located in.

While not legal advice, I hope that this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.