Louisville, KY asked in Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Kentucky

Q: While at work an employee was injured. It has been deemed that I was not at fault for causing the injury. Can he sue me?

After completing an incident report, and being interviewed by the manager, a supervisor, and an hr representative, I was told that I was not at fault for this employee getting injured. They reviewed my statement, took statements from witnesses, and thoroughly viewed the video coverage of the event. It was confirmed that this employee (and others) did not follow safety practices and this is what lead to his getting injured. He was taken by a company representative to get medical attention. He has bruising to his leg, a broken wrist, and shoulder pain. It is apparent that he will be out of work for the foreseeable future as he recovers.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Kentucky attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. As a general matter, there's nothing to stop someone from suing another person. That's simply the way the legal system works. However, lawsuits could then be defended, dismissed, or meet other outcomes. Based on your brief description, it does not look like you were to blame. The remedy here appears to be workers' comp. A Kentucky attorney could offer you a more definitive analysis after reviewing all the details here more thoroughly. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.