Baltimore, MD asked in Medical Malpractice for Maryland

Q: What type of lawyer do we contact for permanent injury that my 19yo son will have for the rest of his life?

Due to the detention centers failure to provide proper medical attention, during the 13 months that my son was Incarcerated, he is now permanently disabled. He repeatedly put in sick call slips and asked to be taken to the hospital. As his health declined and his symptoms worsened, the detention center refused to take him to the emergency room until almost 3 months after he first asked to be taken to the ER and 2 months after I spoke with a doctor at the facility, who assured me that my son would be taken for a CT scan, he collapsed from seizure #6 and stopped breathing, while in medical, after becoming upset because he was told that he was fine and that he was going back to his cell. Only then he w taken to the ER, where a CT scan revealed a tumor in his cerebellum , pushing on his brain stem. He was immediately transferred to UMMC where he was rushed in for surgery to remove the tumor, which was considered life threatening. One day later he was taken for a second major brain surgery.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: There are attorneys who have expertise with medical malpractice in jails and prisons.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.